A Governess is a highly educated woman employed to teach children within a private household. Once a very traditional role in Britain, there has been a revival of the Governess role in households around the world, particularly in the Middle East. Generally, a Governess concentrates on the educational development of children who are of school age and does not undertake nursery duties or household chores.
Depending on experience and education, a Governess may be a qualified English Teacher, a primary or secondary school Teacher or an expert in child development. A Governess is often viewed as an ‘all round educator’ as they assist in instilling good behaviour, manners and etiquette and promote educational and social development.
An Overseas Governess typically earns between £800- 1400 per week based on previous experience, working hours and extent of responsibility. Working days and hours vary depending on the requirements of the client and are agreed prior to commencement of employment.
• May assist with homework
• Provide extra tuition in range of disciplines such as: Maths, Science and English.
• Teach English as an additional language.
• Be bilingual and able to teach children another language such as French or Spanish.
• Organize and coordinate leisure activities such as sports and other
• Teach children a musical instrument.
• Travel with the family on holiday or act in loco parentis if parents are away.
• Educate children on the importance of a healthy diet, table manners and social etiquette.
• Live in the family home or have separate accommodation nearby.
• Be employed on a full or part time basis.
Do you require a Governess?
Not registered with Gulf Governess? Register with us before placing your request.